Dr. Clifton & Lois Dummett Scholarship
The Dr. Clifton & Lois Dummett Scholarship is named in honor of Dr. Clifton O. Dummett, (May 20, 1919 – September 7, 2011). Dr. Clifton O. Dummett, Distinguished Professor Emeritus of the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of the University of Southern California, studied at Howard and Roosevelt Universities before earning his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) from Northwestern University in 1941. He earned master’s degrees in periodontics and public health from Northwestern and the University of Michigan, respectively.
In 1947, Dummett was named dean of the School of Dentistry at Meharry Medical College, where he was the youngest dean in the United States at 28. An advocate for social justice and equality for all people, it was Dummett’s resolution in the American Dental Association (ADA) House of Delegates that led to the lifting of restrictive membership within the organization. He served the National Dental Association (NDA) for 22 years as editor in chief.
He and his wife, Lois Doyle Dummett wrote “NDA II: The Story of America’s Second National Dental Association”, published by the NDA Foundation, in 2000. An internationally acclaimed author and researcher, and humanitarian, Dr. Dummett wrote hundreds of articles on dental history, public health issues, and social and community issues.
1. Must be post-doctoral, pursuing additional degree in a sub-specialty of dentistry in one of our priority areas such as: public health, administration, pediatrics, research, law, etc. (A Masters degree beyond residency training will be considered)
2. Must be a United States Citizen or have permanent resident status
3. Must be an NDA member
Completed application package is due by May 15 and sent to the following address:
Include in application package:
- 1. Letter of request for consideration
- 2. Curriculum vitae
- 3. Description of the program you are entering
- 4. A letter nomination from the Program Director
- 5. The total cost of graduate program
- 6. The stipend amount you will be receive, if any
- 7. Two (2) letters of recommendation
National Dental Association Foundation
ATTN: Dr. Brandon A. Gordon
7129 Maplelawn Drive
Ypsilanti, MI 48197